Saturday, May 23, 2009

Going green.


I leased my land to a neighbor who wants to seed it down into a hay crop...the old fashion way. He raises work horses for show and I believe they are of the breed, Belgian. Beautiful horses whatever their breed. He decided he wanted to work the land using the horses and some cultivators he welded together, he wanted to go green, maybe, he visualized himself a Mennonite. I, of course, want my land to look green but worked efficiently and not the cobbled look of the unprofessional farmer, so it was worked first with tractor and discs. His plan is too cut hay and stalk it. (Or is the word stoke it)? It will be interesting to see as events unfold.Haying is hard enough with equipment and a working man always has to work haying into his schedule.





There is something to be said about returning to our roots. It was a sight worth watching; as drivers would slow down and stare. Maybe going green is a good idea. It certainly provides some entertainment for all pass-er-byer’s and first timers’s to farm country. This is big tractor country, horses working a field are a novelty in our neck of the woods.





In the meantime, my wife Carole, and I, were busy planting the flower beds, there are no methods that can ease that chore. Today we planted in excess of 200 Impatients. They add a lot of color when perennials are out of bloom in Aug.
I keep telling her, I think we should go green also; maybe seed the whole damn yard in grass seed and buy a goat.



Here are two pictures a month apart, gives a good idea of plant growth. First picture is April and the second picture is May.



The Baltimore Orioles returned for their third straight year. They have such a beautiful sing song in the mornings.We have five that lobby for the feeders of sugar water. Humming birds have to wait their turn.



On another note,

Our good friends (Punch&Judi) from Rhode Island and travelling companions got a dog, and it has consumed a large part of their life. No more trips to Isla Mujeres unless TedyB, say’s so. You can read TedyB’s blog here, life with humans as seen through... a dog’s eyes. It is quite humorous and a good read.
TedyB likes a belly rub, stop by.


Another site I enjoy reading is Jamqueen, who publishes some great photos.
She is a Isla lover also. Check out her page and pictures


I have been so out of touch with my friends since building my website at www.roadfoodjunkie.com. It has consumed a lot of my time in learning HTML and I am far from done. I think, I might just do a page on Isla Mujeres, it is one of our favorite places to vacation and right up a roadfood junkies alley where there are many good eating places

2 comments:

Ann said...

Thnks, Doug for the plug. I haven't blogged in a week but will get back to it soon. I've been doing alot of yardwork, too!

Moongrl722 said...

Beautiful flowers and the horses are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Hope you and Carole are doing well.