Friday, May 28, 2010

Memories of Iris

I worked for a market gardener at a very young age, crawling along rows of carrots weeding. The rows seemed so long I never thought I would reach the end. My pay was 20¢ per hour, I so badly wanted that new bike my parents couldn't afford.
Since I was an experienced ‘Weeder’ helping Mom weed her flower bed was just an inconvenient chore; One that I hated, after-all! I had that new bike to ride.
My memories of childhood are probably what became en-grained into my soul. Somewhere, between market gardening and chores around the yard, I acquired a love of plant life in general. My mother loved her Iris and without a doubt, that is what attracted me to collect them.
There was a time in my life when I thought I would like to collect all the NORTH AMERICAN DYKES MEDAL AWARD WINNERS
I managed to acquire approximately 18 varieties plus others, that where not award winners. I suddenly realized that Iris take a lot space, a lot of weeding, and a lot of dividing. They also have a very short bloom life and are not good for cut flowers or as pot plants for resale.

Trying to remember the various names was fine until a winter storm blew down and away most of my identifying signs.
Here are a few that are in bloom now.



 Wabash


 My absolute favorite and I don't remember the name.
 Beverly Sills , beautiful in pink.
 Double Purple Satin Falls. Heavy bloomer.
Honky Tonk Blue

Jesse's Song
  Another favorite. Orange Slices.
 Burgundy Red
 Silverado - light blue
Another unnamed.

4 comments:

Moongrl722 said...

Iris are so beautiful and yes, the blooms are short lived. I have never seen that many colors. The orange ones look like orange sherbet! So pretty.

Chicagotom said...

Doug, These flowers are so beautiful thank you for posting the pictures of them.

Chicagotom said...

Doug, These flowers are so beautiful thank you for posting the pictures of them.

sheila1 said...

Oh, I love Wabash and your absolute favourite!
Maybe you could rename it Absolute Favourite :-)